Skip to main content

The Bigger Picture: Yom Kippur, 2013


When I was in fifth grade, my friend K beat me up.

I say she beat me up, because that was the expression in those days. It was actually a series of incidents over perhaps a week or two. An angry shove when the teacher’s back was turned, another shove down the stairs on the way to gym; and then finally, in the hallway after school, hair-pulling and punches in the stomach. I stood there, baffled and afraid, taking the blows. “Stop it,” I said. “Stop it,” she mimicked. Another friend came over and hugged me, making herself into a shield. K just punched her in the back instead. Eventually, K must have walked away; I don’t remember how it ended. I do remember that no adult saw or intervened, and no child in the crowded hallway thought to seek an adult’s assistance. We were in our own world. Fifth grade.

Click here for complete sermon