Skip to main content

Wrestling with a fog

It’s happening again. I’ve been trying for several days to write about something really Big. A fundamental, largely unseen crack in our culture; something that impacts every one of us, down through the generations. But I’ve been writing about it, in pristine and earnest abstractions. I know I’m right, but who do I imagine I will convince with carefully crafted logic? And then I realize that it’s happening again – that the mind is wrestling with the fog of Big Issues when it could be dropping down into actual experiences – like the swish of yellow leaves underfoot, or the cool dampness of the air at twilight, or the uneasiness in the body after an oddly tense conversation with a friend. Or noticing how the days are flowing by rapidly and that I no longer find it troubling.