Skip to main content

What can one person do? Part Two

Rosh Hashanah 2014

Five years ago, at our first Rosh Hashanah as a newly-merged Temple Kol Tikvah, I shared my suggestions for three core values worth cultivating. They might have been entirely forgotten if Randy O’Brien had not thought to immortalize them as a beautiful challah cover:

“Love more. Learn more. Fix what’s broken.”

In honor of this being Kol Tikvah’s fifth year, I went back to take a look at that very first sermon. Not surprisingly, I have a different perspective than I did five years ago. (And I hope that I will have yet another perspective five years from now!) This year, I am drawn to focus on the “fix what’s broken,” and in a different way than I did five years ago.

As many of you know, this past February I went on a 10-day tour of Rwanda to witness some of the peace-building efforts that have been evolving there since the Tutsi genocide 20 years ago. It was a mind-blowing journey. I shared some of my reflections on my blog, and also gave a presentation in May. (For anyone who missed it, the video of my talk is on the temple website.) Ever since the trip, I have been wrestling with the question: What can one person do?