Skip to main content

I can only imagine

Re-reading my pre-teen diaries, I glimpse a stream of thoughts that were never shared with anyone at the time. Certainly not with my parents; but apparently not even with my friends. A bubbling stream of anxious, sometimes obsessive thoughts. One obsession in particular – about an older boy who was so obviously mean-spirited and callous – took me down a rabbit hole of confusion for years. I can only imagine what it might have meant to that anxious girl if someone had listened to her with compassion. I know there were occasional moments of caring from insightful adults... but not nearly enough.

See Advice for my 17-year-old self, posted Aug 3, 2014 – the list still rings true. Know anyone who could benefit from posting it on their mirror? I think I might.