Skip to main content

The puzzle of family

Little White Lie. I talked about this film for many months after seeing it at the Coolidge Corner theater when it came out around five years ago. Little White Lie is filmmaker Lacey Schwartz’s story of how she grew up in a white Jewish family in Woodstock NY, in which everyone colluded not to name the physically obvious: that her biological father had been a Black man. The film includes her probing interviews with family members about how and why this happened, and the evolution of her identity in young adulthood. To me the film was a multi-dimensional puzzle, raising a tangle of questions about betrayal, forgiveness, identity, race, family, storytelling. And now it flashes into my mind this morning, and I don’t know why. And now I wonder: Wouldn’t an investigative documentary about any of our families end up raising the same tangle of questions?