Skip to main content

Predicated on mindfulness

Every path forward in the evolution of consciousness seems predicated on mindfulness: the practice of bringing a gentle awareness to the experiences of the mind/body, moment by moment. Anti-racist consciousness and activism seem predicated on mindfulness. So does the practice of nonviolent communication (NVC), a global movement of which I am a humble part. So does conscious parenting. So does learning (as distinct from schooling).

There’s a paradox here: that forward motion does not exist without the potential for stillness. It’s one of the polarities expressed in the kabbalistic tree of life, the tension between accepting what is and striding forward to create something that is not-yet.

I am aware that I am writing these cool words partly in an effort to ease the heat of agitation and sadness that I feel when the thought arises that Important Things are happening Out There, as I continue to shelter in the serenity of my home.